HOW TO BECOME A NATIONAL SEMI-FINALIST:
- Young Inventors must be students in grades 4 to 8 for the school year 2015-2016.
- Inventors must live in the state of Ohio or one of the following counties of Pennsylvania: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Washington, or Westmoreland
- Original inventions must incorporate the use of Shearer's branded items, including (Shearer's, Tangos, Shapers, or Riceworks bags of any size.)
- To enter the contest, the following must be received at The National Museum of Education no later than 5:00 p.m. EST on MAY 13, 2016 (NEW EXTENDED DEADLINE!).
- A written description that includes the name of the invention, its purpose, how it works, how the idea was created, and how it will be used or make everyday life easier or more enjoyable. The description must be no more than 1,000 words.
- A sketch of your Invention: a drawing of your invention with a diagram of how it works. Hand drawn or computer renderings are acceptable.
- Any of the following visuals that would best explain your invention must accompany your entry: clear photograph(s), a VHS, a CD, a DVD, Power Point or Flash Drive depicting the invention and its use. Visuals must not be sent via email, but rather should be sent by hard copy "snail mail" (Run a 2nd copy of the first page of the Entry Form so that we can combine your Entry and Visuals).
- All contest submissions will become permanent property of the Contest Hosts and will not be returned.
- The young inventor's name, age, grade, school, sponsor (teacher/parent/guardian), address, phone number, cell phone, FAX and email, clearly marked on the entry form.
- The young inventor's name should appear on all pages of the entry with the chance that a page may become separated.
- If you are selected as one of ten (10) semi-finalists, you will be contacted. The top 100 inventions will receive a Certificate of Honorable Mention. All contestants will receive a special Certificate of Recognition.
- Young inventors and one parent/guardian must be prepared to travel to Massillon, Ohio to attend the Awards Ceremony in June 2016. The Contest Hosts will be responsible for all travel arrangements within the state of Ohio and from Pittsburgh, PA along with accommodations for the three (3) finalists and their respective parent/guardian.
- Young inventors must be willing to participate in publicity events and media interviews surrounding the Awards Ceremony.